Thursday, June 24, 2010

Steven Moffat Talks Doctor Who Finale and Series 6


After last week's episode of Doctor Who, which left us with the mother of all cliffhangers at the end of The Pandorica Opens, it's normal we are curious to know what will happen next. After all, things looked mighty dire.

Moffat was recently interviewed for Tube Talk on Digital Spy and he had a few interesting things to say, especially about the finale, and if he'd planned it from the start:
"I had aspects of it. I had certain things I needed that I need to get to, and I had an overarching idea that would, and I suppose it's a better conversation to have after next week's episode. There are certain things that you'll see that have been there from the beginning. There's been quite a careful planning of things, which is pretty obvious from episode 12, that everything was set up and paid off there. There's more coming next week, in the event that anyone comes out of the Pandorica. So yeah, you have to leave yourself some space to improvise, otherwise it gets boring, otherwise you get bored with your own script, and quite a lot of episode 13, which is a mad episode, is brand new. But there are certain key points where I know I wanted 'this'. I'm thinking of the next finale right now so I can plot the rest of the series. I know what the big reveals are and the big hopefully jaw dropping moments are going to be."
Then the Doctor Who showrunner kept talking about how the next series and the Christmas special would all be told in flahsback since the Universe has ended and all (Moffat has a wicked sense of humour).

He also talked a bit more about how far he was into preparing Series 6:
"Not far enough, I think is the answer to that! I've got lots of plans - plans are not nearly as useful as scripts, I find - so I'd like to have more scripts and fewer plans. We're not quite as ahead of the game as we were last time. But it's fine."
But he does have writers: "We've got a fair number of them, there's one more I'm chasing, but yeah."

Amongst these writers, we already know that Neil Gaiman has written an episode for series 6 of Doctor Who. I would guess that Gareth Roberts, and perhaps Mark Gatiss, will also return.

Steven Moffat also discusses the possibilities of former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies writing a future episode:
"Is it possible? He's pretty adamant that he's not going to. I'm in constant touch with him. I don't know, you'd have to ask him. He did an awful lot of Doctor Who for an awful lot of years, and I think he's finding it in a way hard, because he's done a Doctor Who story in effect for Sarah Jane Adventures. So I think he possibly wants to get away from it for a bit. I can understand that, because he did a hell of a lot. But I'd love to get him, it would be just joyous to get him back because I miss him."
 Please go here to read the rest of the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment