Monday, September 28, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Sinead Keenan: Being Human's Nina


Recently, I had the occasion to ask a few questions to the lovely and talented Dublin born actress Sinead Keenan, who plays Nina on the BBC's breakout hit Being Human, which is currently filming it's second season. The TV program has recently finished it's North American run here on BBC America and I believe it has already found a loyal fan base.
In the interview, I wanted to discuss the character of Nina as well as the actress's upcoming appearance in the final two episodes of David Tennant's Doctor Who. Since this is hot potatoes, she had to remain tight lipped about quite a few things which is making me even more curious about the finale.

You play the character of Nina on Being Human, a show that has a werewolf, a vampire, and a ghost living together in a house. At first glance it's not a concept one would think could work, but Being Human does it beautifully. What was your first reaction upon reading the script?
My first reaction when my agent tried to explain the concept to me was "Is this for a children's show?". But then I read the script which I thought was amazing! Toby Whithouse is a genius as far as I'm concerned!

Were you ever a fan of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre?
I'm not gonna lie to you, sci-fi-fantasy is not a genre that hugely interested me in the past,which is a bit unusual seeing as I've spent the best part of the last year working in the genre. But I'm slowly but surely opening myself up to those kinds of shows and films.

Your character was introduced in the second episode of Season One as George's love interest. What is your take on her?
My initial take on Nina was that she was a bit of a battle axe! But it then began to emerge that so much has gone on in her past that she's built this wall or front to hide behind. Underneath it all she's just a big softie really!

Nina seems to have some secrets: The burn scar on her stomach indicates a possible traumatic event in her life. Will we get to know a bit more about Nina's background in season 2?
Oohhhh.... All I can say is yes, you will get to know more about her scars in season 2.

It was revealed at the very end of the last episode of Season One that Nina was scratched by George when he was changing into a werewolf, meaning she will probably become one as well. Do you know if that will happen in season 2 and if so are you looking forward to these scenes?
Oohhh, once again can't give too much away! All I will say is maybe she was scratched by George,or maybe they were old scratches?? I know what will happen, but I can't tell you guys. Sorry!!!!!

This next question comes from Sheindie: if YOU had written your role, how different would it have been from what we've seen?
Good question Sheindie, but I don't think I would have written Nina any differently at all. As I said before Toby Whithouse is a writing genius in my opinion, so why mess with perfection eh?

You will be in the final two Doctor Who specials that will feature David Tennant as the Doctor. Can you tell us a bit more about the character you're playing?
Oohhh, once again for confidentiality reasons I can't. Sorry!!

What was it like to be on the Doctor Who set and to work with both David Tennant and Russell T. Davies? Did you get to share some scenes with David? How was the atmosphere like on set?
The Doctor Who set, is one of the nicest sets I've ever worked on. It had such a friendly,family atmosphere. I can tell you that most of my scenes were with David and he is a joy to work with. Russell T Davies is a gorgeous man also. Not only a supremely talented writer but a wonderfully friendly man.

Russell Tovey, your Being Human co-star, will also appear in the final two Doctor Who specials, reprising his role of Midshipman Frame. Do both your characters get to interact? If you do, how was it like to act together again but as different characters?
Oohhh, once again I couldn't possibly say. Sorry!

One last question: What are your thoughts about the recent successes in North America of British Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows such Being Human, Doctor Who and Torchwood?
It is so thrilling to be involved in a production that has been so well received not only in the UK but the US also. I don't know why they've been so popular with the Americans but we're so delighted they are!!

Thank you so much, Miss Keenan, for taking the time to talk with us!

3 comments: