Friday, March 5, 2010

Could Star Trek Finally Get an Oscar?

Over at Trek Movie they have an analysis of the chances of Star Trek winning an Oscar on this Sunday's Academy Awards.

This has led me to think about this and to give my own opinion and predictions on the matter.

Below are the categories in which Star Trek was nominated with a list of the other nominees:

Visual Effects
  • Avatar
  • District 9
  • Star Trek

Sound Editing

  • Avatar
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • Star trek
  • UP

Sound Mixing

  • Avatar
  • The Hurt Locker
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • Star Trek
  • Transfomers: Revenge of the Fallen

Makeup

  • Il Divo
  • Star Trek
  • The Young Victoria

I believe that Avatar will win the Visual Effects category. This is almost a no-brainer. Trek Movie claims that District 9 could pull an upset over Avatar because of the quality of the effects achieved with a small budget. However, all 3 nominies definitely boast some particularly impressive effects but it's Avatar's 3D technologie and motion capture that gives it the edge.

Trek Movie is also pegging Avatar down for Sound Editing. In my opinion it's a difficult category to guess but my belief is that it will play between Avatar and The Hurt Locker. Still, I'm not ruling out Star Trek either.

The Hurt Locker seems to be Trek Movie's choice for Sound Mixing. Apparently it won the CAS Guild's award. Once again, this is a category hard to pin down and any of the nominees could walk away with the Oscar sunday.

(Seriously though. These are the two categories I have a difficult time understanding as most of you certainly do as well. Sound editing and sound mixing certainly sound alike no? And yes, the pun IS intended.)

For Makeup I'm going with Star Trek. There were some amazing makeup effects in the movie. Being nominated against Il Divo and The Young Victoria may render the competition less fierce, but I believe it would be no less deserving. One must know as well that The Young Victoria was the winner at the BAFTAS (Trek Movie blames the win on the UK home advantage which I agree with. I mean come on!)

So bar an upset in the sound category, I believe Star Trek will at least walk away with the Oscar for Best makeup.

It would be the first Oscar ever for the 30 year old franchise. Crossing my fingers!

Who do you think will win in these categories?

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment