Sunday, October 11, 2009

JJ Abrams On The Star Trek Sequel and More

A few days ago, Paramount held a press event in order to promote their fall home video releases. Star Trek is set to come out on both DVD and BluRay on November 17. There was a Q&A session with Director JJ Abrams and he opened up about William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and the Star Trek Sequel.

Amongst the highlights are the fact that Abrams was first approached to do Star Trek in 3-D and that he's very much opened to do the next one in that format.


It is funny. Paramount talked to me about doing the first one in 3-D and, having it only be my second film, I was petrified just at the addition–I thought it would be another dimension of pain-in-the-ass. I thought I would be like, "oh my god, I just want to make a decent 2-D movie.” I was so worried that, instead of being a decent 2-D movie, it would have been a bad 3-D one. So I’m open to looking at it because now I feel a little bit more comfortable and, if I, in fact, direct the sequel to our Star Trek film, 3-D could be really fun, so I’m open to it. What I’ve seen of Avatar makes me want to do it, because it’s so crazy-cool looking.


About Shatner, Abrams said that he ''would love to figure out something.'' And that they are talking and have a lunch date planned and that he considers himself a friend of his.


JJ Abrams also responded to Leonard Nimoy's comments that he would not be in the next movie which I reported here. Abrams said:

I can say that I can’t imagine a Star Trek movie not needing him. I’m sure what he’s saying is a combination of modesty and honesty. He may actually feel that way. But, the truth is, we could never have made this movie without him, and working with him again would be a joy. It is clearly too early, given that we are just now talking story, to conclude whether or not Spock Prime is in the film or not, but do I want to work with him again? Of course, 100%. I’d love to.


The Star Trek director also gets to share his thoughts on Nick Meyer, the director of Wrath of Kahn, who apparently watched all 79 episodes of TOS before directing one of the best Star Trek Movies of all time.


Go here for the complete report

No comments:

Post a Comment