Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Wil Wheaton, Actor, Writer, Blogger, Tweeter and Star Trek Reviewer





Wil Wheaton, known to many of us as Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: The Next Generation, was a series regular for the first four seasons of the show (he then guess-starred twice in season five and twice in season seven). An actor first, and a self-professed geek, Wil has flourished as an accomplished author-writer: first by creating a blog (WWdN: In Exile)– Wil may have been one of the earliest bloggers out there - and then, as some of you may already know, by writing and publishing 4 books (Dancing Barefoot, Just a Geek, The Happiest Days of our Lives and Sunken Treasure - he also wrote articles for LA Weekly’s LA Daily and Geek in Review amongst other things). On top of it all, he also finds the time to tweet (under @wilw) to his more than 870,000 followers!
Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of reading Just a Geek, which is a memoir based mainly on his years on Star Trek and on his life after he left the show. It is surprisingly personal and honest and the book is deliciously well written, thoughtful, and at times funny as Hell! I may have fallen in love with him a bit just then.

What some of you may not know is that Wil also wrote a few reviews on a number of episodes from the first season of Star Trek: TNG (you can find them here); reviews that I made the mistake of reading at work, Haha. This is basically how it went: I was sitting at my post at the reception desk, completely oblivious to what was about to ensue as I began reading. I have to tell you that Wil does not shy away from letting us know what he thought of these episodes, adding humorous remarks here and there, saying out loud what the viewers were probably thinking internally, even re-writing some dialogue bits! I also learned some interesting behind the scenes facts and a thing or two about our beloved TNG actors (all good). Of course, what had to happen happened and I began laughing hysterically, tears running down my face. I was barely able to answer the phone. To make matters worse, my colleagues shot me some weird glances as they passed me by, probably wondering why I was laughing by myself, and surmising that I was possibly on drugs or something. Oh well - Thank you Wil Wheaton for making me laugh!

The point of that little story is to let you know, dear readers, just how funny, talented and insightful Wil Wheaton is and more importantly, that he is an incredible writer. For those who went ahead and read the reviews, know that they will soon be upcoming (if I'm not mistaken) in a compilation book called Memories of the Future.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. i LUVED him. he was one of my very 1st crushes. and then he broke my young heart when he left the show....

    good to know what he is up to now. and somehow doesn't suprise me to hear that he is a good writer:)

    ReplyDelete